Recent Sermon post on Sermonaudio

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Show Hospitality to Stangers

Dear Rockport Family,

Hebrews 13:2 says, "Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it." As we enter the Christmas season, I want to remind you to practice hospitality to the new members and guests we are seeing each week. When we were smaller, it was easier to identify someone who was new, since you pretty much knew everybody. But now, many of you don't know everyone who attends each week...and it becomes easy to overlook those who are here for the first, second or third time.

So, here's what I'd like you to do. When you see someone you don't know, introduce yourself. Go out of your way to tell them your name and learn theirs. Do what you can to make them feel welcome among us. It REALLY does matter. You are a warm, kind-hearted congregation. But it won't feel that way to those who come among us if no one takes an interest in them and works to make them feel at home.

This past summer I visited a congregation in Chicago. I was impressed by the way the people sitting around me took an interest in me, asking if I was new, and generally helping me feel like I belonged among them. It really did help set me at ease in a strange place full of people who were strangers to me. Before long they did not feel like strangers.

So let's make that a habit here at Christmas and the year 'round. Go out of your way to get to know the folks seated around you. If you see someone you don't know, go over to them. Introduce yourself. Tell them you're glad they're here. God uses such small things in a great way. And who knows, by doing so, some have entertained angels unaware . . .

I just thought I should remind you,

Loving you in His grace,
S. Scott Lee
Soli Deo Gloria
www.RockportBaptist.org



No comments: